Teacher Scholarship Awards 2019
Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain (PESGB) Annual Conference, New College, Oxford
Friday 29 March to Sunday 31 March 2019
Closing date: Friday 8th February 2019
The PESGB is delighted to announce the award of up to 4 scholarships to full time schoolteachers (0.8 FTE or above) wishing to attend its annual Oxford conference for the first time. These are offered by open competition and are worth up to £335. They cover:
a. the conference fee, including full board accommodation for two nights in Oxford (equivalent to £250)
b. a contribution to travel costs (up to £85).
Initial orientation to the conference will be provided to successful applicants. Teachers attending an academic conference for the first time may appreciate having identified colleagues to attend some sessions with them and talk the papers through afterwards. It is expected that successful applicants will negotiate the particular kinds of support they would appreciate with us. This year, confirmed keynote speakers are:
• David Hansen, Teachers’ College, Columbia University, New York
• Jan Derry, Institute of Education, University College, London
• Michael Bonnett, University of Cambridge
Interested teachers who meet the selection criteria should:
- Email their name, contact details and a short expression of interest (100 words maximum) explaining reasons for wishing to attend the conference to email@example.com on or before 4.00 pm on 8.2.2019.
- Provide a short letter of support of a senior member of their school’s leadership team or similar e.g. headteacher/principal/ Officer of a professional association/ academic supervisor.
Applicants will be expected to:
- Attend the conference in full (except where agreed in advance with the Society, for example, due to teaching commitments) and
- After the conference write a short reflective blog piece for the PEGSB website/ a social media forum used by teachers based on their experience of attending the conference or one aspect of it.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of members of the PESGB Executive Committee. Members of the panel will provide brief feedback on request in cases where applications are unsuccessful but reserve the right not to engage in lengthy correspondence.
- Successful applicants will be expected to pay the conference fee in advance, sign a written declaration confirming their status as a full-time serving teacher and to attend the conference in full, unless special arrangements have been agreed in advance with the PESGB Executive.
- The fee will be re-imbursed and a contribution made to travel upon receipt of the blog post and travel receipts, up to a total of award of £335.
- Reimbursements are conditional on applicants meeting all the requirements of the award.
- The Society reserves the right to withdraw the award at any time if applicants are found to have provided the panel with false information.
Full details of the conference can be found on the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain website (www.philosophy-of-education.org).